JOIN OUR TEAM
and change the lives of young people! You’ll be amazed how it can change your life too.
We are looking for AmeriCorps members to contribute as tutors and student advocates at Crossroads. We are able to host up to THREE members throughout the year — these applications are ongoing, but needed as soon as possible.
The Crossroads College Access Advisor plays a mission-critical role in the work of the organization as an advocate, mentor and advisor for Crossroads scholars during their college search and selection process. The incumbent is responsible for creating and coordinating a comprehensive counseling program geared toward college preparation and the matriculation of Crossroads scholars into a four-year university/college or other post-secondary pathway.
The College Access Advisor will work directly with all senior scholars, their family members, school staff and Crossroads program staff and volunteers to provide individualized and expert guidance for all stages of the college process. This position is a FT, salaried role working 40 hours a week in a school and office setting in person; potential candidates should be fully vaccinated against Covid-19.
CORE AREAS OF RESPONSIBILITY
- Support scholars and families throughout the college search and selection process
- Build network of partners and connect with resources to support college access and success for Crossroads scholars
- Collaborate in college program development, plan and lead college tours, and serve as liaison to college-based programs
- Utilize data to drive program improvements in the college counseling process
- Provide personal guidance & counseling to ensure scholars’ successful completion of high school and matriculation to higher education
KNOWLEDGE AND COMPENTENCIES
To be successful in this role, the candidate should demonstrate a familiarity with:
- Best practices for working with diverse populations.
- Ethical professional school counseling standards, including the protection of confidential information.
- Youth mental health including the ability to recognize a potential behavioral health emergency.
- Educational systems at both the high school and college level, as well as the skills and knowledge needed for youth to advance to and through college successfully.
- Technology, including proficiency in using Microsoft Office and Google applications, databases and as school data collection systems.
- An undergraduate degree in Education, Social Work, Counseling or comparable field; an advanced degree is a plus.
- Experience working with young people in a college prep environment.
- Experience with urban youth from underserved communities in a school setting is highly desirable.
- Preference will be given to applicants with experience in college admissions or college access roles.
ABOUT THE ORGANIZATION
Crossroads offers students from low income households access to a quality high school education and the supports they need to be college ready. In addition to financial scholarships, Crossroads provides academic assistance, social and personal support as well as college and career preparation so that its scholars are well prepared for success in college and in their careers. Crossroads currently supports 160 students, grades 9-12, who attend six different Pittsburgh area Catholic high schools. Although it partners with the Catholic high schools, Crossroads is an independent, faith-based organization serving young people regardless of religious affiliation. For more information visit www.crossroadsfoundation.org
Crossroads is an equal opportunity employer committed to hiring and developing a diverse team of professionals reflective of the community we serve. Crossroads is located in the North Point Breeze neighborhood of Pittsburgh (near Bakery Square), and has a core staff of ten employees.
COMPENSATION & TO APPLY
Crossroads offers a competitive salary as well as a comprehensive compensation package including paid health and dental insurance, 401k match, and generous PTO and holiday leave.
Qualified individuals may apply by submitting a resume and cover letter with salary requirements to: email@example.com. Indicate "College Access Advisor" in your subject line.